August was a record breaking sweltering month here in Texas. Every single day had a high in the 100’s. It stayed in the mid to upper 90’s overnight every night.
Texas is in a severe drought and just as we’ve gotten to enjoy some cooler weather (in the 90’s!) there has been an outbreak of wildfires to the north and west of us. Thousands of homes have been lost to the blazes, tens of thousands of acres of forest have burned, and countless people, livestock, and pets have been displaced as the state burns.
Here’s a map of the fires and smoke plumes in case you want to track it.
Houston has a light haze of smoke, and you can smell it in the air.
If you want to donate to the Central Texas Fire Relief Emergency Fund,you can do so at austincommunityfoundation.org. This is only one of many ways to help. A quick google search will give you a plethora of information on what is needed and where to help or donate.
With that said, before the fires broke out, I knew I wanted to make a new color yarn for my BeerSox to go along with and contrast to Irish Spring.
It needed to be oranges, reds, corals, pinks, mauves. It needed to be my favorite colors on the warm side of the spectrum. So I mixed up a few colors of dye, and let the yarn have it.
Dyeing yarn is a rather new experiment of mine. I’m still trying to figure out how to dye in such a way that the end result is more what I expect and less a happy accident with the intended colors. It has always intrigued me to go through the adventure of receiving a skein of yarn and appreciating the colors in the hank, then seeing them lay out differently in a wound cake, and lastly seeing how knitting morphs it into a whole new colorplay!
Yesterday, I got to wish a hoppy birthday to my friend Cathy who runs the Beer Camps, Cocktail Camps, and Monsters of Beer for Live It Big. It was a beer-loving crowd of friends and cohorts and it was awesome to see so many if them busting out their BeerSox!